|S side of: Meridian Road|
|Distance (S) from Greenwich|
|OS map details||OS Explorer: 122|
|OS grid ref||TQ 40683.10798|
|WGS84 lat/long||50.879559, -0.001620|
This obelisk which was designed by the Borough Architect, Mr CT Butler, was erected in October 1938, at the spot indicated by Commander Davenport who had been instrumental in the building of the nearby obelisk at Peacehaven two years earlier. The bronze inscription tablet along with the armillary sphere that topped the obelisk, were donated by Mr John H Every. The obelisk was unveiled on 8 November 1938 by the Mayor, alderman Ernest T Hall, who, after reading a letter from the Astronomer Royal, Harold Spencer Jones, lowered the Union Jack which had been covering it. He and Councillor Baker, along with Messrs Butler and Stevenson then each placed a screw in position to secure the tablet. The tablet and the armillary sphere were stolen around the end of 2007. In their hurry, the thieves appear to have dislodged the stone onto which the armillary sphere was bolted and sheared one of the bolts holding the tablet. A campaign was organised to replace them. A new 'bronze effect' plaque in plastic, together with a globe in lieu of the armillary sphere were put in place in early 2011. The globe appears to have been modelled on the one on the obelisk at Peacehaven (itself a replacement).