|East Court, College Lane|
|Distance (S) from Greenwich|
|OS map details||OS Explorer: 135|
|OS grid ref||TQ 39932.38620|
|WGS84 lat/long||51.129771, -0.001572|
|Marking date||3 Jun 2002|
East Grinstead probably first celebrated its position on the Meridian in 1954 when it acquired a coat of arms – this incorporates a white line representing the Meridian running through the town. The Town Council offices are located in East Court, a former country house, built in 1769 and extended in 1906–07.
Although erected for the Queen’s Golden Jubilee in 2002, the beacon does stand more or less on the Meridian. But as to whether it was deliberately positioned on the Line, it is hard to say as the numerous other Meridian marks at East Court are all slightly out of alignment with one another. The town’s coat of arms is one of several that decorate the top of the beacon.