|Ordnance Wharf (now site of Thames Path/O2)|
|Distance (N) from Greenwich|
|OS map details||OS Explorer: 161 or 162|
|OS grid ref||TQ 38800.80130|
|WGS84 lat/long||51.503068, -0.001594|
|Type||Sign on post(s)|
|Access||Unrestricted. Mark no longer present|
Originally erected on the south bank of the River Thames in 1950, the sign was bulldozed on 22 July 1996 when work began on the building of the Millennium Dome. Gilbert Satterthwaite, who took the last observation with the Airy Transit Circle (ATC) on 30 March 1954, recalls seeing the marker though the telescope – his view would of course have been inverted. Before the Dome was built, the site was home to the East Greenwich Gas Works Tar Department. In 1953, G.E.W. Gosnell recorded that as well as this sign, a second sign had been erected on the opposite bank on the north side of the river.