LB Greenwich
Greenwich (SE10)
Ordnance Wharf (now site of Thames Path/O2)
Distance (N) from Greenwich
OS map detailsOS Explorer: 161 or 162
OS grid refTQ 38800.80130
WGS84 lat/long51.503068, -0.001594
TypeSign on post(s)
Marking date1950
AccessUnrestricted. Mark no longer present
Greenwich Meridian Marker; England; LB Greenwich; Greenwich (SE10)


Currently viewing images from Feb 1953
Click to choose image set
Feb 1953
Jul 1952

Additional picture credits
Unknown (Jul 1952 & Feb 1953).

Originally erected on the south bank of the River Thames in 1950, the sign was bulldozed on 22 July 1996 when work began on the building of the Millennium Dome. Gilbert Satterthwaite, who took the last observation with the Airy Transit Circle (ATC) on 30 March 1954, recalls seeing the marker though the telescope – his view would of course have been inverted. Before the Dome was built, the site was home to the East Greenwich Gas Works Tar Department. In 1953, G.E.W. Gosnell recorded that as well as this sign, a second sign had been erected on the opposite bank on the north side of the river.

Image: bulldozing of sign (22 Jul 1996)
Gosnell, G.E.W. Greenwich Prime Meridian Marks, Journal of the British Astronomical Association, Vol. 63, pp.104-118 (1953)
Ordnace Wharf
Gasworks to Dome
Movie clip